Friday, February 27, 2009

Of Poetry & Exercise

Today when I read from Naomi Shihab Nye's Envy:*

The white cat
on the white chair
lives white minutes
I'm not even in

he said: That's beautiful; and when I started to get up, he said: Don't go.

Imagine. Two sentences. And he looked at me - with mind.

The move to the second floor has been good for him. He's more alert and he shows more affect. Today, as people passed us in the hall, he smiled his crinkly-eyed smile and a young blonde visitor caught his eye.

Meanwhile, I joined the Y and Silver Sneakers, had my first exercise class and consultation with the Y's personal trainer, both good experiences. I especially like doing the strengthening stuff and working out with weights. Who knew?

Thanks for stopping by,
Esther


*Envy by Naomi Shihab Nye in Cats of Cairo: Egypt's Enduring Legacy by Lorraine Chittock.

read more of Witnessing Alzheimer's at the Seattle Post-Intelligencer on line

No comments: