Monday, November 21, 2005

Trigger Poem, Nye, You Have to Be Careful, Women's Writing Groups, Cancer Lifeline, Week of Nov. 14th

You Have to Be Careful

You have to be careful telling things.
Some ears are tunnels.
Your words will go in and get lost in the dark.
Some ears are flat pans like the miners used
looking for gold.
What you say will be washed out with the stones.

You look for a long time til you find the right ears.
Til then, there are birds and lamps to be spoken to,
a patient cloth rubbing shine in circles,
and the slow, gradually growing possibility
that when you find such ears
they already know.

-Naomi Shihab Nye

"You Have to Be Very Careful" from Words Under the Words: Selected Poems by Naomi Shihab Nye. Copyright © 1995.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Trigger Poem: "You Have to Be Very Careful" from Words Under the Words: Selected Poems by Naomi Shihab Nye, November 21, 2005, inspired me to write:


Taking Care

When I think of all the words,
thoughts and all
the possible meanings…
found in my life…
words I never imagined or understood…
consideration that all words deserve…
recognizing, accepting…
realizing the special note on a music score.
words embraced with care
are carefree like a stanza,
on winged blessings,
feelings and tribulations…
make a sonnet.

As a child,
words danced in the moonlight
as reflections of my dreams gone by…
curiously watching these words
inspired and stick you like a thorn…
bringing forth the blood and tears
of my resistance…

I am bathed by the glow
the illumination of the care
in which I expound upon my feelings…
tempered with love, mercy,
care and kindness that I would capture
receive for myself…
faithfully sharing this feeling with others,
borne of wisdom,
mistakes
untold mysteries that are
shrouded by loving care for life
and all its expressions.

taking care and mindfulness of your words
actions…
has taught me.

Jannat Bey
November 21, 2005